Friday 9 September 2011

Book Review: Witch Child by Celia Rees

Rating 
3 out of 5 stars

Synopsis
When Mary sees her grandmother accused of witchcraft and hanged for the crime, she is silently hurried to safety by an unknown woman. The woman gives her tools to keep the record of her days - paper and ink. Mary is taken to a boat in Plymouth and from there sails to the New World where she hopes to make a new life among the pilgrims. But old superstitions die hard and soon Mary finds that she, like her grandmother, is the victim of ignorance and stupidity, and once more she faces important choices to ensure her survival. With a vividly evoked environment and characters skilfully and patiently drawn, this is a powerful literary achievement by Celia Rees that is utterly engrossing from start to finish.

My Review:
Ok I heard about this book on here on the children's part of the forum, it sounded really good so I reserved it at my library.

I got the book and I found it to be really short with large font so I knew it would be a one day read.

This is a hard book for me to review because this is for a book for kids. It was not what I was expecting and for the first half of the book I was really not liking it, I was bored and wanted a book with more action. But once I got past my own wants, I actaully got into this little Gem, it took a while for the 'Witch stuff' to come in but once I did I really quite enjoyed it and found it to be a pleasant read. I actually read the book with my son last night and he asked me to get the follow on, which to me shows this is a good book.

To think this is about magic and spells and stuff like that you are wrong, this is about a girl and her everyday life in the 1600's in a time where religion explained everything and how the devil was still'within us' it shows a headstrong and yet logical and intelligent girl.

I lovely, light gem of a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment