Friday 9 September 2011

Book Review: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Rating 
4 out of 5 stars

Synopsis
Grace is fascinated by the wolves in the woods behind her house; one yellow-eyed wolf in particular. Every winter, she watches him but every summer, he disappears. Sam leads two lives. In winter, he stays in the frozen woods, with the protection of the pack. In summer, he has a few precious months to be human ...until the cold makes him shift back again. When Grace and Sam finally meet, they realize they can't bear to be apart. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human - or risk losing himself, and Grace, for ever.

My Review:
Ok so I reserved my book when I read a review by Weave I think and though it would be a really nice book to read.

I would like to add that this book has had many great reviews so my expectation was pretty high.

First off. I really like Grace as a character and reminds me a little of myself at that age. I found her totally adorable, yet strong in many ways. Sam wamed to me throughout the book, I could not seem to get a picture of him in my mind. But he is still a lovely character.

The book is full of love's young dream, pure, sweet, innocent even. I don't do love stories and my favourite moments of Twilight are the action chapters, but I liked this.... alot. I found the ending brilliant and a lovely little twist. changes in characters, and some funny little scenes and dialogues bettween the central characters.

I do feel that this is a way to get on the twilight (YA sci fi fantasty genre) band waggon, yet it is good in it's own right, with some lovely changes to the much churned out warewolf genre.

Light quick chirpy lovely read.

Oh and it is fine for YA. Only two swear words in the book. B:censored:d twice. Other than that a lovely read for a love struck teen.

I will be looking for the book in July!

Pros: Quick to read, flowed beautifully, lovely to read chapters based on each characters perspective and thoughts. Loved the cold temperature twist of the warewolves.

Cons: No enough action for me, but that is a pure personal taste rather than a flaw of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment