Friday 9 September 2011

Book Review: Fever of the Bone by Val McDemid

Rating 
3.5 out of 5 stars

Synopsis
'You should have been a detective. If there's one thing the last year has proved, it's how good you are at finding things out. Not simple things. Hard things. Things that nobody is supposed to be able to find out. Things that are buried so deep nobody even thinks twice about them. The sort of things that turn people's lives inside out once they're exposed.' Meet Tony Hill's most twisted adversary - a killer with a shopping list of victims, a killer unmoved by youth and innocence, a killer driven by the most perverted of desires. The murder and mutilation of teenager Jennifer Maidment is horrific enough on its own. But it's not long before Tony realises it's just the start of a brutal and ruthless campaign that's targeting an apparently unconnected group of young people. Struggling with the newly-awakened ghosts of his own past and desperate for distraction in his work, Tony battles to find the answers that will give him personal and professional satisfaction in his most testing investigation yet.

My Review:
Ok so I had a vacating mojo for the start of this book, so I can't give a good indication of the start of the book. But what I will say is that you should, must read the previous book in the series 'Beneath the Bleeding'. Fever of the bone continues with the story of Tony and his personal life. I can't really say more or I will ruin it for people who have yet to read either book.

I am going to be honest. Normally with Val McDermid, I never get an idea of what is going on, and if I do it is a slight snippet. I did to be honest get all of the ending and I started to get bored waiting for the characters to catch up.

Other than it was fast paced with the normal psychological information that you normally get from her books.

I am not saying this is a bad read and it is still a good read and would not say dismiss it, but if you compare it to The Mermaid Singing, or even Beneath the Bleeding it is definately not as good.

Pros: Two of my favourite characters, and a great insight into the Tony.

Cons: Not the most original of plots and I found myself pointing the points together.

No comments:

Post a Comment