Friday 9 September 2011

Book Review: The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde

Rating
5 out of 5 stars

Synopsis
It's Easter in Reading - a bad time for eggs - and no one can remember the last sunny day. Humpty Dumpty, well-known nursery favourite, large egg, ex-convict and former millionaire philanthropist is found shattered beneath a wall in a shabby area of town.

Following the pathologist's careful reconstruction of Humpty's shell, Detective Inspector Jack Spratt and his Sergeant Mary Mary are soon grappling with a sinister plot involving cross-border money laundering, the illegal Bearnaise sauce market, corporate politics and the cut and thrust world of international Chiropody.

As Jack and Mary stumble around the streets of Reading in Jack's Lime Green Austin Allegro, the clues pile up, but Jack has his own problems to deal with. And on top of everything else, the JellyMan is coming to town...

My Review:
Due to family commitments and Super Mum duties to do, it took my longer than I would have liked to finish this book. In some respects I wish I had read this another time so I could have sat there for hours with a cup of coffee and devoured it in one sitting.

This book is a breath of fresh air in a genre (Murder who dunnit) that has for me become slightly stale. I do not know a book like it. Funny from start to finsh, I warn you if you read this book in public expect funny dissaproving looks from fellow people due to the strange laughing noises coming out from your mouth.

Hillarious and yet loving characters, charactors that you want to see again. Jack is hillarious and you find that you are 'egging' (get it) him on to do well and to get that out of reach memebership of the guilds. Mary is a character whom you learn to love. I think she will develop in character in the next book in the series.

There are many twists and turns in the book with many referances to famous detectives inclusing Miss Marple, and Agatha Christie and if I am right a little bit of Monty Python in there to boot. HOWEVER, do not think that the constant flow of humour will ruin the book and will not be well written, it is fantastically written.

AAAAAH I could go on for days about how good this book is. I don't give out top marks very often but this deserves it. READ THIS BOOK!

No comments:

Post a Comment