Friday 19 August 2011

Book Review: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling

Rating:
3.5 out of 5 stars.

Synopsis:
Harry Potter is a wizard. He is in his second year at Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Little does he know that this year will be just as eventful as the last...


My Review:
The Book begins where the last book finished. Harry is back with the horrid Dursley's. They still don't like Harry and still see him as an inconvenience. After an incident at the house, Harry is condemned to his room where he is locked in. Down beat and without any letters from his friends, Harry thinks this is the end of his time as a pupil at Hogwarts. But Ron along with his brothers help Harry to escape and once they arrive at Hogwarts a mystery starts to unravel. People have been attacked within the walls of Hogwarts. Rumours are flying, but who or what is causing these attacks.... And why?

The thing with the world of Potter is that there is always someone in your life who is obsessed with it. Two of my best friends are and so is my son. Because of this I have decided to give them a go. After the first one, which didn't quite hit the spot for me, I was hoping that this one would kick start my love for all things Potter and I would soon start to instantly recognise that Hufflepuff was a Hogwart's house name and not some form of Pokemon. Which by the way I now know all the house names!

Other than that I don't know where to start and what to put in this review other than ' I read it'. It was okay. It was readable. It...was pleasant. I am starting to feel that I am not falling in love with Potter the way I should. Is there something wrong with me? Do I need to see a shrink?  There is nothing wrong with Potter. If I were a child I would LOVE these books. Be obsessed with them like I am with Lord of the Rings. But I am just not grabbed. I could easily pick up the book and carry on from where I left off. But with that I could easily put the book down. There are some positives. I really am getting quite fond of the characters. Ron is my favourite, yet I find that I have a lot of the same traits as Hermione. The plot has quite a few twists and turns, some that I did not expect. It was for me the ending that let it down. A couple of odd sub plots that just I felt had no reason to be put in the book, even though I have been informed that some of these 'sub plots' make sense further on in the books. All in all it was average, that's all I can really say.

I will be reading the next one after a little break. I hope that book three will start the love.

No comments:

Post a Comment